Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Kicking Butt and Taking Names



The best part of my day is when that 2:20 bell rings signifying the end of 9th period. This is not because the school day is over, but because that bell marks the time my first job ends and my second job begins. You see, after school I am the coach of the Varsity Kickline team at the high school where I work. This is a job that is difficult and time consuming but also rewarding and enjoyable.

As the kickline coach my responsibilities include choreographing routines, teaching steps, correcting mistakes, researching and registering for competitions, planning a trip to a national competition in Orlando for 28 people, and dealing with all of the perils that come with supervising unmotivated teenagers. Although my job is by no means easy, it has been the most rewarding experience I have ever been a part of.  We had an amazing season, winning first place at every one of our regional competitions. This has never been done by our team before, and as it is my first season coaching, it makes me feel like I was meant to do this. In a few weeks I will take my team to Universal, Orlando where they will compete in the National Dance Alliance Championships. I am filled with nerves at the idea of this, but I know that no matter what happens, I will be satisfied because of how successful the past six months with my team have been.

Vocabulary:

Signify (verb) - Show or indicate
Choreograph (verb) - Make up a dance
Peril (noun) - Problem
Unmotivated (adjective) - Not interested in; No effort
Rewarding (adjective) - Feeling like you have done something important or good
Satisfied (verb) - Happy with

Vocabulary Exercise: Put the correct word in the blank space provided. 

I _________________ a jazz dance that was full of fast movement and lots of turns. 

He is _________________ about getting a job because he enjoys having the summer off. 

Volunteering at a homeless shelter can be a _________________ experience. 

I am ______________ with how my Thanksgiving dinner came out. It was very tasty.

The boy got an F on his test _________________ that he did not study at all. 

Couples can suffer many _______________ at the beginning of a relationship. 


Grammar Point: Synonyms are words that mean the same thing as another word. 

Think of a synonym for each of the vocabulary words. 

1 comment:

  1. This is so cool! I was on Kickline in high school and loved it! I was the captain so I had many of similar responsibilities. I agree it is definitely hard to deal with the whole team, but I give you a lot of credit for handling all of that! I am sure you are an idol and mentor to many of the girls. You are doing an awesome thing by helping them and being there to guide them. You used great vocabulary here to paint an amazing picture of what a great job you are doing!

    ReplyDelete